What happens if I don’t spend all of my NDIS funding?
Will I get less funding after my NDIS plan review if I haven’t spent all of my current NDIS plan?
This is a fairly common question we receive from the participants and families we work alongside, and an area of confusion that I am happy to help clear up.
The first thing to say is…do not panic! The NDIS is still relatively new and for many new participants. The good news is there is plenty of help out there. Either your chosen Support Coordinator or a Local Area Coordinator (LAC) will be able to help you make sense of your plan and make the most of your approved funds. As plan managers MOIRA is also here to assist you. If you are unsure about anything it is important to reach out and make use of the supports available.
If you do find yourself with a plan review coming up and funds remaining in your NDIS plan, it is not the end of the world. While it is always a good idea to make use of all the funds allocated, the NDIA is clear that each new plan will always be based on reasonable and necessary needs. This means each plan review will be independent to best meet your current situation, regardless of how your last plan went.
With this in mind, it is still important to think about why you have not spent all the allocated funding. Having a clear explanation and evidence where possible, is the best way to prepare for your plan review.
Some possible explanations that might help you gather your thoughts are:
- You may have had trouble finding a suitable service.
- Health issues may have impacted service delivery – for example not being able to make appointments.
- Your circumstances may have changed, or life may simply have gotten in the way – Sometimes things come up unplanned that can interrupt accessing your NDIS plan.
- You might not have been made properly aware of what each funding category can be used for – If this is the case it is important to tell your NDIS Planner so that you can receive appropriate support and information to make the most of your next plan.
The key to receiving the funding you need during a plan review is to explain and provide evidence as to why your supports remain reasonable and necessary. Documents that can support why you need specific services will make it much easier for your NDIA Planner to make sure your plan meets your needs.
The best way to deal with NDIS plan underspending is simply to avoid it from happening in the first place. MOIRA Financial Plan Management have a number of practices in place that can help avoid plan underspending and make sure you make the most of your NDIS plan.
Some of the ways we do this include:
- Access to an experienced team, including explanations and guidance on what each area of your funding can be used for.
- Automatic underspending (and overspending) alerts.
- Fortnightly budget statements – including easy to understand charts that highlight your spent and remaining budget within each funding category.
For more information MOIRA have a fact sheet with additional tips on preparing for your next NDIS plan review. Click here to download.
If you have any questions about your current NDIS plan MOIRA Financial Plan Management is here to help.
To get in touch call the customer relations team on 1300 666 472 or email email@example.com.
Karen D – Pod Leader, Customer Relations
Karen leads the MOIRA Financial Plan Management customer service team, answering your NDIS plan management questions and requests.